2.09.2012

Fatshion February: Week One

Fatshion February is in full effect and, if nothing else, I hope you will realize how hopelessly unfashionable I am in my regular day to day work clothes. And that's a good thing! I think bloggers can mislead people into thinking they're all glitz and all glam all of the time, but my experience is quite different and I think it's totally important to show that that isn't always an option for people. For whatever reason!

So here's my totally normal and boring life over the course of one week (except for last Monday because I just couldn't wait for a photo before my pants came off):


I believe fat-bodied people are often pressured into performing, or else you'll be perceived as a slob or, my personal favorite, as if you've let yourself go, and I think that's bogus. I'm actually pretty sick at the moment and it's press week at work, which means I really wanted to come in wearing yoga pants this morning. It took all of my willpower not to but maybe I should have as my own small act of rebellion...

UPDATE: I forgot to mention you can click-through to view outfit details and larger photos on Andrew's flickr! This is true for almost every photo I post on my blog :)

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! I know it's silly, but I do struggle with daily-outfits. Like you said, it's easy to worry about being perceived as a slob if my attire is not 'glamorized' a bit. So thank you for this reiteration of real-life being comfy.

    Also, congrats on the art director job! I just saw your last post, and that's awesome. I think that'd be such an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kyrstin! It's a great gig though it's definitely time-consuming and stressful!

      And you're absolutely welcome! I think it's important to have small reminders that reinforce normalcy in things others assume certain bodies shouldn't do. There's no room in real life for all of fashion's restricting dos & don'ts, especially body-policing ones!

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT!! I wish I were better about worrying about not looking like a slob. I am notorious for just wearing guys shirts and sweatpants. but I'm an art major so not too horrible...ha ha today I wore a "boobs rock" t-shirt(in honor of breast cancer awareness) and sweats. your beautiful in yoga pants or all glammed up
    love you either way
    kudos on the job too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Mireya, thank you! You wear whatever you're comfortable in and makes you happy.

      Delete
  3. I'm totally in love with Fatshion February for this reason; it lets us see what people actually wear on a daily basis, and also allows us to post our own not-so-blog-worthy outfits. I was just thinking about this today while posting my boring jeans-and-a-t-shirt outfit, how fat people are always expected to put a little more effort into their outfits (than thin people) to be considered "well dressed". It's bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Seriously for oh too long i thought everyone was completed loaded with fab clothes except for me. I def concern myself on a daily basis trying to make sure I'm not perceived as a slob. Its a little exhausting sometimes. Thank you, it feels good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about other bloggers but it's important to keep in mind we're all different and we all live with different circumstances. You're not alone :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from readers! ♥