8.06.2013

A Moment with Stila

By the grace of the makeup gods I stumbled upon a code for a site-wide 50% off sale on stilacosmetics.com thanks to Nouveau Cheap all the way back in April. Somehow the 50% off code was combined with an additional 40% off code during the checkout process and my entire purchase was 70% off. Did I just hear audible gasps?

Graphic of Stila Eyeshadow Palettes

Each of these $39 eyeshadow palettes were under $12 and that's just out of control. The code also threw in free shipping and a mascara sample for any order over $50, and a free full size blush for orders over $100. Since my total was just under the $50 mark, I added the Custom Color Blush in Coral which is normally $20 and got it for six bucks! That's the price of a NYX blush! Ah!! I'm gloating, I'm sorry.

I've been excited to play with these goodies but, as usual, I waited forever and then I waited some more. Surprisingly, I went for In The Moment first despite my usual aversion to purples (thanks to my super translucent skin). When you look at the palette though, only two out of ten shadows are true purples. Cue me getting over it, feeling experimental, and hoping I don't end up looking like a raccoon!

A look created with Stila's In The Moment eyeshadow palette
A look created with Stila's In The Moment eyeshadow palette
Close-up of a look created with Stila's In The Moment eyeshadow paletteClose-up of a look created with Stila's In The Moment eyeshadow palette

The eyeshadows are really nice! I've never owned any Stila products prior to this and I'm pleasantly surprised. They are a bit dry (not as buttery to the touch as, say, theBalm) but there's great color payoff and they blend well with very little effort. An extra bonus is the full size Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner you get (normally $20 on its own). Each of these palettes are in Stila's permanent collection which is great because limited edition things have me so quick to panic about missing out!

Products Used:
Essence I ♥ Stage Eyeshadow Base
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Painted Purple
Stila In The Moment
Physician's Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in Ultra Black
Stila Forever Your Curl Mascara
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner in Nude
e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit in Medium

Essence I ♥ Stage Eyeshadow Base, Maybelline Color Tattoo in Painted Purple
Stila In The Moment, Physician's Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in Ultra Black, Stila Forever Your Curl Mascara, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner in Nude, e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit in Medium

Stila In The Moment Eyeshadow Palette Tutorial

Step 1: Apply purple base all over eyelid with finger.
Step 2: Pat violet (Glance) onto inner and outer eyelid with an eyeshadow brush.
Step 3: Pat rose gold (Wonder) onto center of eyelid with an eyeshadow brush.
Step 4: Pat gold (Spontaneous) onto center of rose gold (Wonder) with finger.
Step 5: Apply coppery-brown (Whim) to outer crease and with a blending brush.
Step 6: Apply dark purple (Improvise) to crease and blend with a crease brush.
Step 7: Apply cream (Desire) as highlight to browbone with finger.
Step 8: Line waterline with nude waterproof eyeliner.
Step 9: Give yourself wings!

Have you tried any of Stila's products? If so, what are your favorites? I'm pumped to try out In The Light next, or maybe In the Garden...

11 comments:

  1. i absolutely love the illustrations you make for your beauty posts!! i so wish i was good at things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I'll take any excuse to flex my illustration muscle!

      Delete
  2. Love this post, and ditto what the previous comment said about the awesome illustrations! I have the In the Moment palette and I love it (I just used it yesterday, in fact!). And I agree--Stila's shadows don't quite blow my mind the way theBalm's shadows do, but they're still quite nice! My one complaint is the eyeliner, which I don't like at all, but maybe I just got an old one or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I added that bit about the eyeliner because I thought it was neat that they're included but I've yet to actually crack one open! It's such a bummer to hear they're no good! At least you get ten shadows in each palette even if the liner's a dud...? I hear great things about their Stay All Day liquid eyeliner, though! Gonna try that next.

      Delete
  3. Your eyeliner slays me. I actually use a different Physician's Formula product - liquid eyeliner that comes in a marker sort of applicator - and am not too crazy about it, never seem to get that perfect crisp, dark cat-eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks!! I've been obsessed with this eyeliner since it was recommended to me a couple of months ago. I keep meaning to do a proper write-up on it but it makes some pretty wild claims I'm still trying to test. I used to be a die-hard Almay girl but their new formula ruined it for me.

      Delete
  4. Arghhh sooooo FABULOUS! I really don't play with colours any more because I was obsessed with them in my early 20's and it's not my aesthetic at the moment but you look sooooo good and so beautifully subtle. WINNING with the makeup code....that just made me happy ;) yayurrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally a neutral gal myself, in fact, before this new rush of makeup obsessiveness, I was only using two nude shades as all-over washes plus my wings (even though I had drawers upon drawers full of wild colors). I used to be obsessed with yellow and blue in my late teens/early twenties which makes me question my taste a lot, what was I thinking?! It's fun to experiment every now and then, though! I'm glad you dig the look! <333

      Delete
  5. Darknet or internet black market is a big and serious problem & some criminal minds take Darknet as their business. I am serving broadband services in chandigarh through www.internetbroadband.in from last 3 years. I like my profession and I aware my customers about internet black market and suspicious attacks,. I take it as my responsibility. All internet users should be aware of frauds and Darknet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from readers! ♥